Thursday, October 16, 2008

Huge Pet Peeve

Yesterday one of the guys on my shift did one of my biggest pet peeves which is correcting me in front of a patient. I know that I shouldn't have any pet peeves since I have not been a career firefighter very long but this has been a pet peeve of mine ever since I got into the business as volunteer. I have no problem receiving constructive criticism, but unless I am about do something that is going to hurt or kill the patient, please save the criticism until after the call.

So anyway on to the call. We were dispatched to a house for a women that was dizzy. First of all let me explain that when we are dispatched to a medical call an engine is dispatched from the closest station to the call and all of the ambulances come from the central station. The engine gets on scene first. We arrived in the ambulance soon after. Come to find out yes the women is dizzy but she is also very anxious. We get the woman loaded on the cot and get her out to the ambulance. I told the women that I was going to start an IV and the women freaked out because she did not want to get poked by the needle. When I calmly explained to the women that if she let me start an IV I could give her some medication that would help to calm her down, she agreed to let me start an IV. So as I am starting the IV my partner from the ambulance draws up the Lorazepam that I am planning on giving her. As I sticking the needle into the patient she jerked away, hence making me miss the vein. I attempted to dig around a little bit in attempt to find the vein with no luck, well as I am digging around the patient starts to get very anxious and is asking me if I know what I am doing and asking me if I was a student. I again calmly explained to the patient that I am not a student and I do know what I am doing. I gave up on the IV attempt and I did not figure that the women would be happy if I tried another IV site. I explained to the patient that I could give her the same medication as an injection in her shoulder muscle. The women agreed to let me give her the injection. As I metioned earlier my partner had already drawn up the medication for the IV. Well the IV dose is diluted with saline and the IM injection is not. Plus it takes more medication for an IM dose to be effective and this was a big patient. The guy who was in charge on the engine sees me getting ready to give the injection to the patient, and right in front of the patient that is already anxious and already doubts my capabilites stands up and says stop what do you think you are doing you can not give her that much. I was pissed. This women then says see I knew you didn't know what you were doing, the patient still let me give her the medication and then as I am giving her the injection the ass on the engine is trying to tell me the procedure for giving the injection. As soon as I was done giving the injection I told my partner on the ambulance that we needed to leave. I had to have the guy from the engine get out or else I was going to stoop to his level and loose all professionalism. I am not too big on running and telling my company officer each time some little thing happens but this is not a little thing and this is not the first time that the jerk on the engine has done something like this to me. So hopefully my company officer will take care of the problem. Sorry about the rant but I had to have a source to vent. If any other medics have had the same problem let me know how you have handled it.

No comments: