Monday, November 5, 2007

Not as Smart as Other Dogs of the Same Breed

We have a new puppy in the house she is adorable, but still a huge pain in the butt. The new dog's name is Ethel. Ethel is a Welsh corgi and is now 4 months old. We are having one heck of a time potty training her. We will take Ethel outside she will do her business outside and then she will come in and pee on the floor. I just want to yell at her and say what are you thinking! Another thing that she keeps on doing is chewing through the phone line for DSL for our computer. In the month that we have had her we have went through five phone cords. I swear I am going to be part owner of a phone cord company.

Ethel is our second dog. Our other dog is Lucy (yes we have Lucy and Ethel *think "I Lucy Lucy" TV show). Lucy is an Border Collie Austialian Cattle Dog mix. I am not sure if my readers are familiar with the size of the two breeds but, Lucy is about 55 lbs. and Ethel is right around 10 lbs. Ethel thinks that she is Lucy's size and can take Lucy on. Lucy is very patient and just lets Ethel play and then eventually Lucy has enough takes a swat at Ethel's face with her paw and will bark at her.

Another thing that Ethel does that proves that she is not the brightest star in the sky, is when she is getting a drink of water she will put both of her paws in the water bowl.

According to this website http://www.angelfire.com/vt/labsandpugs/smartbreeds.html

Ethel is supposed to be a member of the 11th smartest dog breed. Hopefully she grows into her alleged intelligence. Lucy depending on which breed you chose from her mix is either the smartest or 10th smartest breed. I just hope when Ethel gets older that the two dogs don't conspire against my wife and I since they are so smart. Heck they will probably be smarter than us.

As much as I would like to get mad and stay mad at Ethel for the annoying puppy things that she does, she keeps doing cute things as well. I work the night shift and my wife usually goes to bed shortly before I leave for work and I will go in the bedroom to tell my wife good bye. The other night when I got ready for work I went into the bedroom and Ethel was laying on her back just like a human sleeping with her head under my pillow. There is no way I could stay mad at that.

I must like dogs since we already have one and then my wife convinced me that we needed another dog or rather told me we were getting another dog. Well I best be going because Ethel is giving me the take me outside or I will destroy something look.

3 comments:

Sam Tsang said...

give her some time, she is still very young, she actually reminds me of my Vienna with the foot in the bowl thing, we got her when she was 4 months old too. May I recommend bell trainning? it will certainly help with the potty training.

Kat Mortensen said...

Perhaps Ethel is not a purebreed and has the brain cells of a dumb dog - say an Afghan or Irish Setter (I love them all, by the way.) Love the names! We have Gilbert, Blanche, Daisy and Red (cats).
If you need to clean up messes, do yourself a favour and buy "OUT!" at Walmart. Use a microfibre cloth run under hot water. Soak any stains and let sit for a minute, then scrub with the cloth. Voila! All gone. We know this from lots of experience. You can put on clothes in the wash too. Great stuff and biodegradable as well.

Poetikat
www.hyggedigter.blogspot.com

Sunny said...

LOL- It must be DOG WEEK here in Bloggerland! My posts for the past few days have revolved around our doggie Buddy as well!!